Question:

From Langhorne, Pennsylvania, USA:

My son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six weeks ago, is still in his honeymoon and gets he gets 1 unit of NPH in a morning and 1 unit of NPH before bedtime. However, sometimes his sugar goes a little bit high (lower 200s mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] with no ketones), and I think I might be giving him too much food. What amount of carb does he need every time he eats?

Answer:

It is very important that you receive detailed and personalised information about the quality and quantity of food that your son should have from a Registered Dietitian. It is inappropriate for us to provide such detail. Please speak to your diabetes team.