Question:

From Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA:

On my job recently, I was subjected to a "random" drug/alcohol test, which is part of what is required by my job. When I was given the breathalyzer test, it registered136 and I was not intoxicated. The last drink I had was a glass of wine about nine hours previously. The test took place when I began my shift at 05:00 am. Could my diabetes have produced this false reading? I am on insulin and have just had a liver test to see if possible liver damage could cause such a high reading. It makes no sense. I was not intoxicated, no alcohol on my breath, and no one said I was acting that way.

Answer:

My understanding is that there are some breathalyzer tests that can report a false positive when ketones are present. Remember that ketones are volatile and are excreted through the lungs. I am concerned that you will need legal representation to help you through this.