Question:

From the St. Louis area, Missouri, USA:

My daughter wants to use the inhaler insulin. Where in my area can I take her to try this new approach?

Answer:

Inhaled insulin is completely experimental at this point. The potential pitfalls are many, the potential advantages few but will likely lead to further insights and improvements for consideration of this method in the future. Only a select number of facilities are involved with these experimental protocols.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

The FDA has not yet approved any of the inhaled insulin devices. You might however contact the manufacturers to find out if they have any clinical trials in your area. Even if they do, I suspect that at this point for medical-legal reasons they would not consider someone who just wanted 'to try it out'.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Inhaled insulins are currently undergoing clinical trials so I'm afraid that your daughter cannot get inhaled insulin right now unless she volunteers for one of the trials. Ask your diabetes team if they know of any such trials ongoing.

Posted to Inhaled Insulin