Question:

From San Diego, California USA:

I have a strong family history of diabetes, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 17 weeks into my pregnancy, and I fear I may have type 2 diabetes that after I give birth. I am currently taking glyburide [a pill for type 2 diabetes] and restricting carbohydrate consumption, and I do not want to take insulin injections. If I continue to have high blood sugars after giving birth, which oral medications are safe to take while breastfeeding?

Answer:

Most likely the glucose intolerance (gestational diabetes) you are experiencing now will not persist after delivery. However, you may be at risk for developing diabetes later in life. This risk can be reduced with proper diet and weight control.

In general, oral hypoglycemic agents are not recommended while breast feeding due to the potential risk of hypoglycemia in the baby. Your doctor will check your blood sugar level after delivery and will determine the need for treatment.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Pills for Diabetes