Question:

From Warsaw, Indiana, USA:

In a national lay publication, I found a statement about a drug that has halted the course of type 1 diabetes by enabling patients to produce their own insulin. I searched the web, and called different agencies to no avail. Do you know anything about this drug?

Answer:

of preclinical type 1A (autoimmune) to insulin dependence. So far none of them have worked with sufficient consistency to merit FDA approval.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

There are many such drugs being studied, but none are quite safe enough for clinical use yet. Stay tuned and don't rush the researchers. This is the way that we make sure the new such medications work, learn about side effects and balance risks and benefits.

Posted to Research: Cure