Question:

My wife is 29 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Her GTT results are:
Time Result
Fasting 93 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L]
1-hour 184 mg/dl [10.2 mmol/L]
2-hour 155 mg/dl [8.6 mmol/L]
3-hour 141 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]
Does she meet the criteria for gestational diabetes? If yes, how serious/ alarming are these values since most of them seem to be borderline? We plan to meet dietitian and start a modified diet.

Answer:

The results of your wife's glucose test are only mildly abnormal with a normal fasting blood sugar. Yes, she does meet criteria for gestational diabetes (barely). However, I expect that she will be managed easily with diet alone.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes