From Salinas, California, USA:

My seven year old son has dark rings around his neck and smelly underarms. Are these symptoms of juvenile diabetes? My friend's son has these things too, was just recently diagnosed with juvenile diabetes and was told by the doctor that they are symptoms. I had my son tested about five months ago, but he was negative. Should I have him re-tested?

Dark patches of skin around the neck are called acanthosis nigricans and can be associated with type 2 diabetes in children. Smelly underarms are a normal finding in some children at this age.

I would recommend that you keep his physicians up to date on your concerns, and they will provide any guidance for further testing.

[Editor's comment: See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. SS]