Question:

From Grenada, Mississippi, USA:

I have had diabetes for more than 20 years, and I would like some kind of transplant, if they have one for me. My doctor I use is not too nice when it comes to asking him things like this, but he is a good doctor. I have had three children, and it's a wonder I have lived this long with diabetes. Is there some kind of information on transplants?

Answer:

The treatment of type 1 diabetes would entail a pancreas transplant. More experimental is the use of islet cell transplants. In the setting of pancreas transplant, the most likely scenario would be the transplant of a pancreas with a kidney at the same time. This is most common because patients with type 1 diabetes may have long-term kidney failure and would already have to go on potent drugs to suppress the immune system. Additional web sites for information on transplantation are:

1. TransWeb
  2. Looking for a Transplant Center
  3. The Collaborative Transplant Study (CTS)

[Editor's comment: Also, see islet cell transplants at this website, and Pancreas Transplantation at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Transplants