Question:

From Stuart, Florida, USA:

My eight year old daughter has been on the Paradigm insulin pump for six weeks, and we have been using the Quick-set infusion set, but we have had a problem with the cannula bending. We had tried inserting both with the Quick-serter device and manually, and both methods resulted in bent cannulas. The customer service representative asked for her said the cannula was probably bending because it is going past the fat layer and hitting muscle and suggested the Silhouette infusion set (which is supposed to be better for thin people) and sent some samples. However, needle on the Silhouette set is much bigger than the Quick-set, and even at a 45 degree angle, looks like it may go past the fat layer. The package insert includes a warning to use care in choosing the insertion angle for people without much fat.

I am concerned about another failed attempt at getting back on the pump, so I would like to gather as much information as possible before we try the Silhouette. Do you have any suggestions on better techniques for using the Quick-set, a different infusion set, or another brand of pump? She is now back on injections until we get this sorted out. We would appreciate any information that would help us get her back on the pump soon.

Answer:

In our experience, the Silhouette is the best infusion set for thin individuals using the Paradigm. You can try using a Silhouette with the Sil-serter if the needle size is daunting, however, manual insertion is usually best. The skin can be numbed with ELA-Max cream prior to insertion so the needle doesn't hurt.

LAD

Posted to Insulin Pumps