From Huntsville, Alabama, USA:

Even though my 12 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year, takes insulin as prescribed by the physician, when she takes it, the blood sugar goes higher. If she eats a salad, her blood sugar goes up. The doctors don't believe that she is on a strict diet and exercises daily. Is there another test that could be done to see if her adrenal glands or kidneys could be the problem?

I'm not sure I understand at all. Most of us see a rise in glucose when we eat. I'm therefore, not surprised your daughter does too. I don't think we give insulin to keep glucose from rising with food, just to keep it from being too high and to help it return to a reasonable level before the next meal.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Perhaps she just needs a higher dose of insulin. Why not work with the doctors and nurses to adjust your daughter's food and insulin? Her diabetes team will also know if other tests need to be run for thyroid, adrenal problems, celiac disease, etc.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

I think that before anyone thinks of additional tests you need to check with the nurse educator in the care team to make sure that you are measuring blood sugars correctly and at appropriate times, because even in someone with insulin dependent diabetes, blood sugars will rise after meals.