Question:

From Woonsocket, Rhode Island, USA:

I will be going for training on an insulin pump in a couple of weeks, and my endocrinologist told me that I will be using Humalog. However, I am concerned because I just recently heard that only NovoLog should be used, and Humalog causes the tubing to clog. Is there any truth to what I heard about Humalog clogging insulin pump tubing?

Answer:

Either Humalog or NovoLog can be used in the insulin pump. In fact, any Regular insulin can be used in the insulin pump. Novolog may have some buffered/preservatives that make it less likely to clog in the pump, but this is very individual.

I would suggest you discuss this with your endocrinologist and then reach a mutual decision. One can always switch to the other type of insulin, of course, should problems arise.

Posted to Insulin Pumps