Question:

From Maplewood, New Jersey, USA:

My daughter takes 1 unit of Lantus (insulin glargine) nightly and has done so for three months. Her sugar levels are well controlled, except that they will spike to 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] after an unauthorized (by her parents) eating excursion (sugar soda, ice cream, etc.), but they do come down to normal within 8-12 hours. Is this just deep honeymoon, type 1B, or is something else going on? How should we question her endocrinologists?

Answer:

I wouldn't call it deep, just blessed for now. I see this sometimes, but it will go away eventually. The occasional 200s [mg/dl; 11.1 mmol/L] give it away. You can overcome the insulin delivery system, in this case the pancreas.