From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

Since diabetes is an autoimmune disease and breastfeeding is known to pass antibodies to the baby, is it possible to pass on the antibodies that attack the pancreas?

I am not an expert on breastfeeding. However, antibodies in breast milk appear to be beneficial to the newborn and can be absorbed across the intestinal mucosa (lining). Whether the type of antibodies that may cause damage to the pancreas can cross or not is unknown. I have come across one reference that suggests that breast fed babies actually have a lower incidence of diabetes in comparison to formula fed babies.

Posted to Family Planning