From Corinth, Kentucky, USA:

I have had diabetes for about five years, and I have a nine year old daughter who wanted to check her sugar. She had a fasting level of 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L], and a reading of about 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L] an hour to two hours after meals. I called my family doctor who had me do some fasting and after meal sugar readings, and some were as high as 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] after meals. So I took her in for an A1c, and surprisingly enough came back it was completely normal. It has been six months, I keep checking her sugar once a month, and sometimes it's really good and sometimes it's high. Last night it was 338 mg/dl [18.8 mmol/L] an hour and half after supper, and this morning's fasting was 188 mg/dl [10.4 mmol/L]. I have taken her back for another test, and it was normal also. What would you do? Any suggestions?

I would suggest talking with your physician about doing a glucose tolerance test to confirm or rule out high blood sugars on laboratory drawn specimens. Also, be sure to be aware of the typical symptoms of diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Two additional thoughts. First, be sure your meter is working properly by checking with control solution or against the lab and that you are using proper technique. Secondly, rather than put your daughter through a formal GTT, she could have a fasting sample drawn and then repeat another lab reading about two hours after a carb-rich meal.

Finally, it should be pointed out that the diagnosis of diabetes is based on blood sugar readings, not hemoglobin A1c. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. SS]