From New Jersey, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes along with high cholesterol, and now I'm on medication for both. In addition, I'm taking blood pressure pills to protect my kidney, and I must also diet. How do I diet? How many calories do I need? How much exercise daily? I am overweight by about 30 to 40 pounds, I have only one kidney due to cancer, and I have cancer of the lung and tongue. Please help.

Contact your local hospital, healthcare center, physician's office, or American Diabetes Association affiliate for a referral to a dietitian/diabetes educator. This healthcare professional will get you on the right track regarding "medical nutrition therapy" and will work one-on-one with you to develop a diet plan to address all of your health issues. Also inquire about a local outpatient diabetes education program, where you will learn all aspects of managing your diabetes, including diet, exercise, medical management, avoidance of complications, and motivational strategies to keep you healthy for the long run. Many hospitals and some physician practices offer programs such as these.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2