From Salzburg, Austria:

I was researching the use of antioxidants for my paper, so a friend, who has type 1 diabetes asked my opinion about using them (vitamins, supplements) in his case. I found some articles, but I couldnīt find enough to feel able to give him advice. I know there have already been questions about vitamin E, but arenīt there any new results or more definitive answers? Can I tell him that the "damages" result from oxidative stress that he can reduce with exogenous antioxidants?

As far as I am aware, there is no conclusive evidence that diabetes is a result of primary oxidative stress response and no evidence that antioxidants have any significant effect on preventing or reducing the effects of diabetes.

[Editor's comment: See Complementary and Alternative Medicine. SS]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations