From Arkansas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes which I have been trying to control with diet, and for a couple of years, my blood sugar runs 200-300 mg/dl [11.1-16.7 mmol/L] after eating, depending on what I eat. Is this level of control sufficient? Am I risking a higher possibility of complications by not maintaining tight control?

Blood sugar goals are less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] pre meal and less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] two hours after starting a meal. In addition, your hemoglobin A1c should be less than 1% above the upper limit of normal for the lab performing the test. These goals are important because you will greatly lower your risk of serious complications if you achieve these goals.

It sounds like you have a lot of work to do: You need instruction in carb counting and perhaps some medication to bring your blood sugars down to the ranges I discussed. Ask your health care provider for a referral to a dietitian and/or Certified Diabetes Educator for some help.

Posted to Tight Control and Type 2