Question:

From Tampa, Florida, USA:

My partner has had diabetes for a long time now, and it seems as if she is giving up. She does not like to check her blood sugars, but she takes her insulin. Is that a problem? How can I help her?

Answer:

It sounds like your partner needs improvement in her diabetes care. I find it unlikely she will do well if she ignores the necessity of glucose monitoring in her overall treatment. If depression is an issue, this can be treated. People with diabetes are more likely to have depression than people without diabetes. If the depression can be treated, it may make it easier to have her look after her diabetes. You may be able to help her at a critical juncture in her life if you can get her to take care of her diabetes more effectively.

DTQ-20021016171834A
Posted to Behavior