Question:

From Folsom, California, USA:

My almost 13 month old.daughter is now on Regular and/or NovoLog before meals with NPH at bedtime, and she is having a problem off and on, with the NPH peaking in the middle of the night. Can we try Lantus once her blood sugars have stabilized or is she too young?

Answer:

Lantus (insulin glargine) has not been approved by the FDA for use in children under the age of six., but your daughter's physician may be willing to give it a trial. If the current dose of NPH is being given at bedtime, there are a couple of options which might included the use of Lente rather than NPH or even Ultralente. Even giving the NPH closer to dinner may be helpful to avoid the peak in the middle of the night, although more often when this occurs, it is because the NPH is given at dinner; I often will "split out" the NPH (or Lente) to bedtime.

Posted to Insulin Analogs