Question:

From Fort Myers, Florida, USA:

My grade-school daughter complains about headaches, stomach pains, and feeling sick so she misses a lot of school. The school suggested home studies but she needs a referral from her doctor. Do you think he would write the referral? My daughter is not being responsible, but tells me she is doing what she supposed to do. I need to work so I cannot be with her all of the time. Could someone give me some advice? Should I force her to go to school? My family does not know what else do.

Answer:

I do not know what her age is nor her blood glucose control, but I would talk with her diabetes team. If this is a younger child, of course, you have some control over what happens with her diabetes. If she is having all of these symptoms, they may be due to diabetes in poor control, and she should speak to a diabetes social worker or counselor about having diabetes. It will be helpful for her to know that you are there for her, also, so if there is some problem at school that is causing an "illness" you can discuss it with her.

LSF

[Editor's comment: Since you have to work., it would not be prudent to leave her home alone all day. In addition, even if she were older, I would be reluctant to leave her home if she feels "ill". Most often, this type of problem represents a cry for help. It is likely that there is some problem with school and/or coping with diabetes, and your daughter needs assistance from a behavioral specialist trained in these areas.

I agree with Lois -- you need to set up an appointment as soon as possible with your daughter's diabetes team to get to the bottom of this. In addition, I would take over all your daughter's diabetes management (shots, blood, checks, meal plan, etc.) until this issue is resolved. SS]

Posted to School and Daycare