Question:

From Oakland, California, USA:

My overweight six year old daughter has dark patches on her neck and under her arms, and I have asked the doctor about these patches thinking she may have type 2 diabetes, but testing was negative. What could these dark patches be?

Answer:

I would suggest seeking a second opinion from a dermatologist in addition to following the advice of your primary care physician if indeed there is a skin problem that remains undiagnosed.

[Editor's comment: Although one cannot diagnose skin disorders without looking at the skin, this sounds like it might possibly be Acanthosis Nigricans, so a referral to a dermatologist or endocrinologist seems appropriate. WWQ]

DTQ-20021020174610A