Question:

From Salem, Oregon, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes. My left leg seems to me to be larger than my right, and sometimes it appears to be swollen and the skin tight. I also have discoloration (like clusters of age spots) on both legs, and the hair does not seem to grow as much in these areas. Does this have to do with my diabetes, or is there something else going on?

Answer:

It may be just swelling. However, there are several other causes, including a clot in the venous system. Your physician can screen you with a test ordered through the hospital or clinic. Discoloration may occur from chronic swelling. You can also have spots develop that are associated with diabetes. You need to have your physician evaluate this condition.