From Long Beach, California, USA:

On a recent airplane trip, my friend, who has type 1 diabetes became very ill (nausea, headaches, and disorientation). Could this be caused by the airplane ride? If so what remedies might you suggest? Is Dramamine acceptable?

Your friend needs to check with her diabetes team to see what they recommend, but Dramamine should be fine. I hope that your friend checked her blood sugars, since if they get very high or very low, that may have caused the symptoms.

[Editor's comment: Your friend should monitor blood sugars closely if he/she uses Dramamine because it can mask the symptoms of hypoglycemia. SS]

Posted to Other Medications and Traveling