Question:

From Long Beach, California, USA:

On a recent airplane trip, my friend, who has type 1 diabetes became very ill (nausea, headaches, and disorientation). Could this be caused by the airplane ride? If so what remedies might you suggest? Is Dramamine acceptable?

Answer:

Your friend needs to check with her diabetes team to see what they recommend, but Dramamine should be fine. I hope that your friend checked her blood sugars, since if they get very high or very low, that may have caused the symptoms.

LSF

[Editor's comment: Your friend should monitor blood sugars closely if he/she uses Dramamine because it can mask the symptoms of hypoglycemia. SS]

Posted to Other Medications and Traveling