Question:

From Littleton, Colorado, USA:

I have hypoglycemia and am unable to find anything on the web or in stores that directly talk about it. I need to find out what types of food I can eat, what to stay away from, and recipes if possible. Any ideas on where to look?

Answer:

The best thing I can recommend is for you to meet with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in diabetes and/or hypoglycemia. There are generally two forms of hypoglycemia, reactive and fasting. A dietitian can individualize a meal plan that fits your schedule and eating preferences. Ask your physician for a referral to an RD who can assist with portions and timing of meals.

A preview of things to come: Expect to eat smaller, more frequent meals and to reduce the foods that contain excessive amounts of carbohydrates and/or sugar (sodas, syrups, jellies, etc.). Also, mixing a good source of protein with carbs at all meals and snacks will be emphasized.

JMS