From Hamburg Township, Michigan, USA:

My six and a half year old niece was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes early this week. We have no family history (on either side) of type 1 and a few cases of type 2 in older family members. I know my sister is going to take the best care humanly possible of her little girl. Even with the best care, is it possible that this illness can be uncontrollable?

With today's treatment of diabetes, it is possible to get excellent control of diabetes. I do not believe that diabetes can be uncontrollable, given all the available tools and devices and insulins we have.

Your niece can look forward to a good quality of life, and I am sure your sister will provide the best care she can give, and ensure that her daughter grows up to know about how best to look after her diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Please read Diabetes Basics for more information. WWQ]