From Shermans Dale, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 11 year old son, who has had diabetes for a little over a year, is in good control (A1c 6%) using NovoLog and Lantus (insulin glargine). He wants to switch to pump therapy for no other reason then he wouldn't have to take as many injections a day. I have always said it was up to him to make decisions about his care. Is this a good reason to go on the pump? Is he a good candidate for it?

I'm always hesitant to make a change in a child's insulin delivery when control is as optimal as you suggest. Insulin pump therapy does offer many advantages, but also risks increasing his already optimal hemoglobin A1c. I would definitely think twice prior to making a change, but if your son continues to work as diligently on blood sugar control as he currently is, he'll likely have similar success and keep his A1c in the 6% range.

Posted to Insulin Pumps