Question:

From Tyrone, Georgia, USA:

My wife has been told that wearing light compression socks can help her, but I know people with diabetes should not have anything tight on their feet. Could you please let me know if this is true?

Answer:

Compression socks are quite useful if a person is experiencing chronic lower extremity edema. This is especially true if they are on their feet all day. This is not necessarily bad for patients with diabetes. It does mean that the stockings have to be removed and the feet examined routinely. In addition, if the stockings are helpful in preventing chronic edema, this is helpful as a preventative measure for breakdown of the skin.

[Editor's comment: It's not clear who advised your wife to wear compression socks. She definitely needs to review this advice with her physician, and be sure that they are reasonable for her situation. WWQ]