Question:

From a physician in Bethesda, Maryland, USA:

My daughter has type 1 diabetes and is on Lantus and Humalog, which has had a positive impact in management of her diabetes. We store her unopened Lantus vials at 4 degrees Celsius, and once we have started a vial, we store it at room temp (20-25 degrees Celsius). Prior to the injection, we warm the vial (in a clean plastic baggy) under our arm for 5-10 minutes, which lessens the injection pain. However, I've noticed that after two-three weeks, the vials have visible floating particulates. It is not cloudy, but clearly the appearance has changed. I assume this is not a good thing, and I am concerned that it may make the Lantus potency less predictable. Have these particulates been described? Any suggestions for avoiding them?

Answer:

It sounds like the insulin is either getting frozen or too warmed up. I would not use Lantus (insulin glargine) if it has particles floating around and would get a thermometer to check the temperature of your refrigerator.

[Editor's comment: The Lantus label states "LANTUS must only be used if the solution is clear and colorless with no particles visible." WWQ]

Posted to Insulin Analogs