Question:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes seven months ago, and I have been taking both NPH with Humalog four times a day with a total of about 88 to 100 units per day. I have just gotten used to using a syringe, and I do't have the up and down emotions. However, I recently saw a specialist in diabetes who wants to put me on a pump and high blood pressure medication. This is one of my worst nightmares -- to be plugged into a machine.

Answer:

The insulin pump is actually very small and looks much like a "beeper" that a doctor might wear. A pump can even be removed for swimming and other activities. I understand that you are reluctant to try it, but perhaps you could work out an arrangement with your diabetes team to give it a try.

In my hospital, potential pump patients can "try out" a pump for a period of time and then decide if it is an option that they want to stick with to manage their diabetes. I believe that you, your doctor and your team should make the decision together. It seems like the fear is overwhelming you. Get more information before you decide and then do what works best for you.

CMB

[Editor's comment: See Is pumping for you?. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps