From Virginia, USA:

I have had breast reconstruction two years ago using the tram flap method, and I would like to begin using a pump. Would it be suitable to use my stomach area for the infusion set?

This should not prohibit you from using an insulin pump, but you will not be able to infuse the insulin into areas with scar tissue. However, anywhere you can pinch some subcutaneous tissue, you should be able to infuse the insulin. As part of your orientation training, this needs to be discussed in detail with your diabetes care team.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

You should discuss possible pump use with your diabetes team. If there is a lot of scar tissue from your surgery, then you may want to consider alternative sites. Your diabetes team will be able to examine you and then decide how to proceed for your individual circumstances.

Posted to Insulin Pumps