Question:

From South Dakota, USA:

My son was diagnosed with diabetes about four months ago, and we were one of the lucky ones to catch it early. He had been ill for the past three years. He would throw up several times in a month. This could happen in the middle of the night, at a restaurant right after eating, in the car, or just about anywhere with absolutely no warning. As soon as our child would say his stomach hurt, he would instantly be getting sick. We had him through every test imaginable (ultra sound, upper and lower GI, blood work, CAT, and etc). The only thing that ever showed up was microscopic blood and protein in his urine. Now that he's been diagnosed and his blood sugars are level, he doesn't throw up anymore, but his doctor doesn't think the throwing up was caused by a slow onset of diabetes, However, but I can't seem to find any other explanation. What are your thoughts?

Answer:

I agree that the onset of type 1 diabetes is typically weeks to months -- not years. The symptoms that your child was struggling with were likely unrelated to his current diagnosis of diabetes.