From Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA:

I am 32 years old, 29 weeks pregnant with my second child. At 24 weeks I "failed" the glucose screening test (162 mg/dl [9 mmol/L]) while I was acutely stressed, so I did a three-hour GTT, and unfortunately, I vomited 40 minutes after drinking the glucose solution. My obstetrician decided that, since I have had a lot of problem with nausea/vomiting during this pregnancy, we would just check fasting levels at all my appointments. However, I decided to obtain a blood glucose monitor and began testing my blood sugar several times a day. I also began walking daily, but I did not change my diet (I still ate deserts and did not restrict carbohydrates in any way). My fasting levels over a four week period were 82-93 mg/dl [4.6-5.2 mmol/L], the one hour after meal values were all under 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] (usually in the 110-120 mg/dl [6.1-6.7 mmol/L]), and the levels two hours after meals were all under 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. However, at my 28 week appointment (and at home before the appointment), my fasting level was 99 mg/dl [5.5 mmol/L]. I came down with a respiratory virus that afternoon, and I think that this was why my level was higher than it had been. My obstetrician thinks that I have gestational diabetes or am at least borderline, but I'm not sure that I agree. Do you think these numbers are indicative of gestational diabetes?

The one hour test is just a screening test and does not make the diagnosis of gestational diabetes. Since you could not complete the three hour glucose tolerance test, gestational diabetes could not be confirmed on that basis. (By the way, do not feel bad about that. A lot of pregnant women cannot tolerate such a high sugar load.) Based on the blood sugar values you are reporting, I would say that you do not have gestational diabetes.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes