Question:

From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes treated with pills, and If my sugar is elevated during the night, I sometimes have aches in my legs, and I'll wake up with a sugar level of 160-180 mg/dl [8.9-10 mmol/L]. However, I don't have cramps if I wake up with normal for me blood sugar (110-130 mg/dl [6.1-7.2 mmol/L]). Could those 30-40 mg/dl [1.7-2.2 mmol/L] make that much difference? The cramps are transient and go away quickly. If I have a run of really good blood sugars they are gone for months, then I'll have a run of mediocre sugars and boom, they're back.

Answer:

There are many causes of leg cramps. They frequently occur in individuals without diabetes. Whether this correlates with your blood sugars, I am not sure. The blood sugars you quote are not that high. I am not sure if they predict your cramps or not. If they seem to stay away with good blood sugars, I would say keep working hard.

DTQ-20021104204249B
Posted to Aches and Pains