From California, USA:

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes, and with the diet and exercise, my blood sugars dropped to normal levels. However, about. 10 years ago, I started having itchy bum which was diagnosed as worms, and the doctor gave me some pills, but they didn't do anything. About seven years ago I developed itchiness in the genital area which disappeared, but my bum is still itchy. The Itchiness happens three to four times a day and last for 5 to 10 seconds and is worst after few hours of rest. Is this related to diabetes? Is it a nerve problem?

I am afraid I cannot answer this question. If the problems persist, I would recommend more follow-up by your physician. The fact that the problem has not gone away suggests that an additional evaluation be performed to insure that no treatable cause has been left untreated. Individuals with diabetes are at increased risk for fungal infections in the genital area. Sometimes it can be very difficult to eradicate the infection, even though the symptoms go away. I would suggest you go back and see your physician.