From Kitts Hill, Ohio, USA:

My eight year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, and I'm having a hard time with her at lunch. My daughter is also suffering from depression, and I have had her in counseling ever since she was diagnosed, but I was wondering if this could be the problem.

She won't eat what is on the lunch tray, so I give her money to buy something different, but she ends buying junk foods, and most of the time she won't eat at all. I even pack her lunch with things she likes, but she gives it away. The school says they don't have anyone to watch what she eats at lunch, but they are concerned. They suggested taking her to the office to eat, but her endocrinologist says to not single her out, and my daughter says if they do that, she just won't eat. Do you have any suggestions for me or the school as to what to do?

I am glad your daughter is in counseling. On the surface, this sounds like a lot of "control issues", anger, depression, and oppositional traits mixed up together. An eating disorder is also a suspicion. If you do not see progress with the counseling she is getting, do not be afraid to seek other therapists. Your daughter needs you to be involved in the therapy with your own sessions. Is she on any medications that might also contribute to loss of appetite?

Continue the therapy, be proactive, and get a handle on this behavior soon because teen years are tougher! An eating disorder specialist may need to be brought in on the case.

Posted to Behavior