From Lansing, Kansas, USA:

I am 31 years old, in the 30th week of my second pregnancy, and I I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. On my three-hour glucose tolerance test, my fasting blood sugar was 52 mg/dl [2.9 mmol/L], in the 200s mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] for the one and two-hour result, normal by the third hour. In addition, I had sugar in my urine at 10 weeks.

My doctor says that because my numbers were so "terrible", I will get diabetes later and that it is just a matter of when. She said there is something wrong with my pancreas. She also said that because of my numbers and the sugar in my urine, that I may have had diabetes before I became pregnant. Is there data or research to support what she said or is this just her personal opinion?

I am now very worried that I had it during my first trimester, and the baby could have abnormalities. I have a level II sonogram scheduled, but I think I will still be very worried, even if it comes back normal.

I cannot say it you had diabetes prior to conception, but with a normal fasting blood sugar I think that this is unlikely. However, you are at risk of developing diabetes later in life although this does not happen to everyone with gestational diabetes. You can minimize this risk with weight control, appropriate diet and exercise.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes