Question:

From Warsaw, Indiana, USA:

My seven year old daughter seems to complain a lot about stomachaches and feeling hot. This is mostly at school. Her blood glucose is always within range at those times, but her temperature is 98.8F. Any reason for this? She will be going on the insulin pump next month; will that help with these symptoms?

Answer:

I do not know why your daughter may have these recurring symptoms, but you should bring them to the attention of her pediatric endocrinologist. There certainly are other hormonal issues, some with a link to type 1 diabetes, that can lead to temperature intolerances. Thyroid disease and adrenal disease come to mind.

Stomachaches should bring to mind to test for ketones, (even if the blood glucose is within target). An intestinal condition that can be linked with diabetes, called celiac disease, can cause a variety of non-specific (as well as more profound) abdominal/intestinal complaints.

Posted to Aches and Pains