Question:

From Florida, USA:

I was just informed that my one week old daughter, who was born at 35 weeks gestation and weighed 3 pounds 3.6 ounces, might have diabetes which could be lifelong or transient. She has been getting insulin since she was two days old. The NICU will not let us bring our daughter home until they stabilize her sugars, and she weighs at least 4 four pounds. I would like information on premature babies and diabetes and if there are support groups, etc.

Answer:

Neonatal diabetes is quite rare, and prematurity isn't necessary as a cause since it happens in full term infants. I don't know of support groups for premature infants with diabetes. I expect there are none as it is so rare.

Posted to Community Resources and Other