From Waitsfield, Vermont, USA:

I have been told by a doctor (whom I trust) that my pancreas doesn't properly produce amylase. I believe that I have hypoglycemia because, after a period of three to four hours without eating something hearty, I become very easily agitated, dizzy, and nauseated. Usually a soda or other sugar product will temporarily quell my dizziness. I eat a small mid-morning breakfast and a large early dinner with as many healthy snacks as I can, but I don't have a morning appetite at all. I do take birth control pills but no other supplements or medications.

Are my hypoglycemic symptoms due in part or completely to the lack of amylase from my pancreas? Are there any dietary adjustments you might recommend to benefit my situation? Is this something I should approach with my doctor?

Amylase is an enzyme that digests carbohydrates. I am not sure that is your reason for hypoglycemia. Indeed, I am not familiar with this as a common cause of hypoglycemia. You should speak with your physician about this.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia