From South Carolina, USA:

I am 16, and I have recently been told I have Mauriac syndrome. I have changed my whole way of life (my eating habits, activity, and everything). I gained 30 pounds in about four days when I first got back on track which I thought was due to the extreme, expected edema I had at first. I was told that the pounds would start to fall off after a couple of weeks, but so far it has not happened. and

I was told that if I changed my ways I would feel much better. Before I always felt tired, and had an upset stomach, and I've not had any change. My weight is very important to me, I am not going to die over 10 pounds or so, but 30 I can't stand!!! I was just hoping you could give me some real advice since, with all the work, I am putting into this I would like to see some results.

Most likely you need to work with a good therapist (social worker, psychologist is usually who we recommend) and talk about what choices you can make, what choices you have made, and what options you have besides omitting insulin. Many folks with eating problems have a history of being abused so that you should feel open to talk with your therapists about all these issues to try to find out what is the root cause of your eating problems and why you have not been able to take better care of your diabetes before now.

The good news, is that whatever has happened, it sounds like you are ready to make some changes. These are difficult choices and difficult decisions, but if you get your blood glucose levels improved, you will feel better. Just persist even though the work is difficult. Work closely and be honest with your diabetes team since they can help you much more easily if they have a better idea of what's going on -- instead of just guessing. Don't give up.