Question:

From Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA:

My almost 14 year son, who has type 1 diabetes and is in good control, has been going through puberty and is embarrassed because hair is growing under only one armpit with not even a hint of "fuzz" under the other. He asked me if this could be diabetes related as well as puberty related or "am I a freak of nature" He assures me there is no problem with hair growth any where else. Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

This is not a diabetes related problem. Most likely his non-hairy armpit will "catch up" to the hairy one in a few months. Sometimes, we are not quite as symmetrically built/constructed as we would like to think. Occasionally, there are some absent hair follicles or sweat glands but this is quite rare. I would wait another 6-12 months, and, if there is still some great differences from one side to the other, have his doctors check him out.

Posted to Puberty