I do not have diabetes or hypoglycemia, but my doctor has prescribed metformin twice daily as a way to help me lose weight. Does this make sense to you?

One of the problems of this form of communication is that I have to respond without all your medical information. In general, metformin is approved for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It has also been used to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in women who present with insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, irregular periods, and obesity.

The use of metformin is an extrapolation from its previously approved role in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. If your physician has data to demonstrate you have glucose intolerance or have elements of the insulin resistance syndrome, your physician might do this with the consolation that there is some precedence.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Pills for Diabetes