Question:

From Malaysia:

My 12 year old adopted sister, who has had type 1 diabetes since she was seven, always complains of severe vague abdominal pain almost every day. She claims to be compliant with insulin injections, but she always skips school and spends a lot of her time living in the hospital. She is not having any complication of diabetes yet. What is the possible cause in relation to her diabetes?

Answer:

There are so many possible explanations for abdominal pain, I would suggest having her talk to her physician for a complete history and physical examination. This clearly may or may not be related to her diabetes. One possible explanation is celiac disease which is more common when you have diabetes.

DTQ-20021108214709A
Posted to Aches and Pains