From Arkansas, USA:

I've had type 1 diabetes for over 10 years, and my husband has had it for over 30 years. I read that hypoglycemia seems to affect your memory over a period of time, and he said he has always heard that, but we can't seem to find evidence stating that on the Internet. I know that for the past three years, I have trouble thinking of names and places when I'm having a conversation with someone. I feel so stupid at times. Do low blood sugars destroy brain cells?

There is no hard evidence of the fall out of brain cells with frequent hypoglycemia. This has been tested in intensive treatment protocols with the use of IQ testing. No fall off in measures of intelligence have been noted in intensive protocols.