From Malaysia

My 12 year old adopted sister has had type 1 diabetes since she was seven, and I would like to know more about the autoimmune process in its development as well as the relationship with other endocrine diseases such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis and adrenal insufficiency.

On the second issue of explaining autoimmunity and the related issue of associated autoimmune problems in the thyroid and suprarenal glands you will find a very simple beginner account at this site; but if you would like to go into the subject in more depth and perhaps have access to someone who could help with a rather scirntifically oriented text you should download Chapter 1 and Chapter 8 in the book Type 1 Diabetes: Cellular, Molecular & Clinical Immunology by George Eisenbarth. This is an up to date descrption of a very complex process.