Question:

From Malaysia

My 12 year old adopted sister has had type 1 diabetes since she was seven, and I would like to know more about the autoimmune process in its development as well as the relationship with other endocrine diseases such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis and adrenal insufficiency.

Answer:

On the second issue of explaining autoimmunity and the related issue of associated autoimmune problems in the thyroid and suprarenal glands you will find a very simple beginner account at this site; but if you would like to go into the subject in more depth and perhaps have access to someone who could help with a rather scirntifically oriented text you should download Chapter 1 and Chapter 8 in the book Type 1 Diabetes: Cellular, Molecular & Clinical Immunology by George Eisenbarth. This is an up to date descrption of a very complex process.

DTQ-20021108214709B