From Pittston, Pennsylvania, USA:

For about a year, my 15 year old son (who has had type 1 diabetes for about three and a half years), has constantly been complaining of stomachaches. He has already had an upper GI X-ray by the family doctor to check for ulcers, but that test was good so the pediatric endocrinologist helped me to get in to see a pediatric gastroenterologist.

His gastric emptying test (which I am assuming was to check for gastroparesis) was just barely within the normal limits. Will this get worse over time? Does this have to do with the nerves being affected by his sugar? He also has a slightly elevated LDL cholesterol level which they said is from high sugars, but we are going to keep an eye on it. The gastroenterologist is also going to be doing an ultrasound of gallbladder and an endoscopy if the ultrasound is normal. What would the endoscopy show ( if anything) in relation to diabetes? Could this be something else completely?

Has anybody checked for thyroid dysfunction, adrenal dysfunction and celiac disease? These could also cause stomach problems.

It's hard to believe after just a few years of diabetes that this could be autonomic neuropathy where the stomach and intestines do not empty properly, but it is possible. Usually this is associated with very high blood glucose readings so hemoglobin A1c levels would also be important to review. I would agree to look for other sources of such symptoms very carefully so keep working with your diabetes team and the GI consultants.