Question:

From Clinton, New Jersey, USA:

I take have started using disposable insulin pens and travel frequently for work (sometimes for weeks at a time). Do you know if the prescription laws for pen needles are the same as for syringes? I know the laws vary by State for syringes, but is there a formal "listing" so I could know before I travel.

Answer:

You should take a prescription from your own doctor and have this available as an emergency. You should also take about a week or two of extra supplies with you so that you should not run out of equipment, insulin, needle tips, etc. All States have different prescription rules.

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

I believe that the pen needles are classified as syringes. As for a State-by-State survey of laws regarding their dispensing, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the injection device to see if they have this information.

DSH

[Editor's comment: See Prescription Laws. SS]

Posted to Traveling