Question:

From Cranston, Rhode Island, USA:

My son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and his blood sugars have been consistently 250-330 mg/dl [13.9-18.3 mmol/L]. Is there anything that we should be concerned about ?

Answer:

I would suggest that you aim to keep his blood sugars around 70-150 mg/dl [3.9-8.3 mmol/L]. Sometimes being a little less aggressive at night is okay with a goal range of 100-200 mg/dl [5.6-11.1 mmol/L]. I would suggest working with your diabetes team to adjust his insulin dosing to get you closer to this range as well as confirming that this is a reasonable goal for your son.

DTQ-20021122212008A