Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from December 2002

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I have read that the incidence of diabetes correlates with diet exercise, and body weight, and that people with a genetic predisposition to diabetes should avoid fatty foods, red meat, and foods high in refined sugar. Are there any scientifically established causal factors of diabetes? Do these foods themselves cause diabetes? (31 Dec 2002)

2. I experienced a once in a lifetime disturbing sleepwalking incident. They chalked it up to stress over my dad and hypoglycemia, but I heard of a case recently where an adult with diabetes had a similar incident that ended up in a violent episode and his suicide. It worries me to think about losing control like that and possibly hurting myself/someone else. (31 Dec 2002)

3. I have to take prednisone daily How much Humalog should I use to cover these? I count carbs and would add the extra amount for my pre-breakfast shot. (31 Dec 2002)

4. I have type 2 diabetes, have been taking pills for three months, and my blood sugar is well under control. However, I am having bouts of light-headedness several times a week, usually in the evening. My doctor did not seem to think it was a big deal, but it has me wondering if there isn't something else wrong with me. Any help? (31 Dec 2002)

5. My teenage son, who has type 1 diabetes, does not want to wear a necklace or bracelet. Is there a company that has a catalog of all the different types of medical alert stuff (rings, tattoos, patches, jewelry, etc.) all in one catalog? I have spent much time looking but it seems that they all just carry necklaces and bracelets. (30 Dec 2002)

6. My almost six year old grandson had a grand mal seizure and high blood sugar. I am so frustrated, I don't know where to turn next, and I just don't feel comfortable with the care he received. Could they be treating us different because we don't have ins? Can I check his sugar at home somehow so I can see if sugar is a problem? (30 Dec 2002)

7. What is the process of making insulin? (30 Dec 2002)

8. My fasting blood sugar is high even though my sugar is completely normal the night before, and metformin almost killed me. What can I do without medication to keep my liver from producing sugar during the night? Would it be wise to start drinking a three ounce glass of dry wine at night before gong to bed to lower the sugar? What has happened to my body? (30 Dec 2002)

9. My eight year old, who has diabetes, goes to school with five other children who have it. Kids are developing diabetes all the time -- what is going on? Why are so many small children developing diabetes? (30 Dec 2002)

10. Our son, who was born with pulmonary stenosis, began to experience chest pains, and complained his heart was racing and skipping beats when his blood sugar dropped rapidly. The cardiologist believes that during the process of the insulin working on bringing down the sugar, the electrolytes may have been impacted which triggered the electrical misfirings. Just wonder what your thoughts are. (30 Dec 2002)

11. My son has to have blood work every so often, but I can't remember. what it is they check for and cannot get in touch with the doctor to ask. All I know is his rbcc didn't come back well indicating that his average levels were too high. I want to look up info on what this means but can't remember the technical words. (30 Dec 2002)

12. My ex-wife is convinced that my son also suffers from a very mild case of ADD, and, although some of his teachers and his former pediatrician agree, I don't. My concern is that his behavior at home may be a result of his environment rather than any psychiatric problem. Do you have any experience here? Can you refer me to an appropriate advisor? (30 Dec 2002)

13. I feel that a lot of insulin is being wasted every time you change the sites because there is about 20 units of insulin left in the tubing when you change. n about 2 weeks time I'm throwing out over 100 units of insulin. I was wondering if it's all right to inject the insulin from the tubing into a vial of insulin so I can use it later instead of throwing out good insulin? (30 Dec 2002)

14. If I check my blood sugar and it is high, can I take my medications (Actos and Starlix) without eating? (30 Dec 2002)

15. I'm now 22 years old, I have type 1 diabetes, and I was put on metformin seven years ago. It was also around that time that I started experiencing hair loss on my head. Earlier this year I was also diagnosed with PCOS and was put onmedications, but my hair loss problem hasn't stopped. Can metformin cause hair loss? (30 Dec 2002)

16. I have a really hard time with insertion sites due to scar tissue. I am at a loss here, I don't want to go back to injections, but I can't afford to change the site twice in one day due to this problem. (30 Dec 2002)

17. My readings were in a reasonable range until I got a severe chest cold. Although I'm eating very little, they have been high for three days. (30 Dec 2002)

18. I am 14 years old, weigh 107 pounds, and I was recently diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I have protein in my urine, and my doctor said she is worried about my blood pressure because it's a little high for my weight and age. I have to see an endocrinologist, but my doctor didn't tell me why. Why do you think I have to see an endocrinologist? What do you think is wrong? (28 Dec 2002)

19. I have had type 2 diabetes for less than two years, and I have frequent urination especially at night. Even though I try not to drink liquids after 6:00 pm, I' m still anywhere from three to six times a night. They put me on oxybutin two weeks ago, but it doesn't work, and my blood sugars are usually around 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] when I wake up. (28 Dec 2002)

20. My son's school personnel shake their heads about using the glucagon emergency kit for loss of consciousness and state they will not do it. At this point, they refuse to learn to give shots of any form. What is the law regarding the school giving emergency glucagon shots? (28 Dec 2002)

21. I am not overweight, I do exercise, I am in generally overall good health, and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about three months ago. Is this a common mistake to make? My levels are wild even though I have a good diet, and exercise now sends my levels all over the place for a week. (28 Dec 2002)

22. When my son gets the flu, he aches so badly there really isn't anything that has helped him. Soaking in a bath with Epson salts has always helped me so I thought it would be beneficial for him, but he informed me that people with diabetes were not to do this. However, he didn't know why. Why is it that people with diabetes cannot use Epson Salts for soaking in a bath? (28 Dec 2002)

23. Last week, my husband's doctor put him on four different medications at once on top of his insulin and metformin, and, two days later, he started to develop a severe headache. Can this be a result of drug interaction or something else? (27 Dec 2002)

24. Can Actos cause problems with your body after taking it for so long? If yes, is there something else you can take for diabetes? (27 Dec 2002)

25. I have had diabetes since birth but was not diagnosed until I was seven years of age. I am now 35 years old, and my 14 year old son has a rare disease called IPEX. Does my type 1 diabetes play a role in my child having IPEX disease? (27 Dec 2002)

26. My 17 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for six months, has a thyroid goiter (benign) and right now, she is overweight. (27 Dec 2002)

27. Our six year old son has had seizure-like shaking and sweating at night. My husband was diagnosed with diabetes less than a year ago and has a machine, so we checked my son's blood sugar in the morning once a couple of months ago after he had a bad night with those symptoms, and it was on the high side. Could this be diabetes? (27 Dec 2002)

28. My three year old child has breath that frequently smells like acetone, and someone once told me if breath smells of acetone, it's a strong indicator that they have diabetes. I don't know if that's even true, but it has me worried. (27 Dec 2002)

29. Besides other factors such as the tightness of the control of blood glucose, is there any information to support the concept that the duration of the honeymoon period in type 1 diabetes is generally longer in kids than in adolescents, young adults, or older adults? (26 Dec 2002)

30. I have had type 1 diabetes for about eight years and have learned to live with it very very well, but lately, it has been getting cold I have had a big problem with my feet warm, and my blood sugars have been skyrocketing. Have you got any advice for me about my blood sugars or more importantly my feet? (26 Dec 2002)

31. My 22 year old son, who has had diabetes since he was 14, is very depressed over his diabetes. Is there any place that can help him start to get his diabetes under some kind of control and help him emotionally? I'm so worried about him, but I cannot find anyone who can help, and I feel like I am losing my son. (26 Dec 2002)

32. My daughter lives with her mother so I am unable to know at times if everything is being done as it should be, and she is having bouts of ketoacidosis every two to three weeks which usually require a one to two day hospital stay. I checked yesterday, and she has been admitted to the hospital fourteen times during 2002. I keep asking what else can we do? (26 Dec 2002)

33. Can having too many low blood sugar episodes damage internal organs? (26 Dec 2002)

34. At a regular checkup, my two and a half year old son was found to have an abnormally high ketone level, but normal glucose. He is otherwise normal, extremely verbal and bright. He is energetic and loves to run. Is this likely to be type 1 diabetes and if not, what? Is the high ketone level life threatening? (26 Dec 2002)

35. After five or six years of steady control, I have had three bad hypos during the night in the last month. Can you give me any explanation? My diabetes advisor simply changed my slow working insulin to Lantus but could not give me any reason for the hypos. (26 Dec 2002)

36. If someone who has diabetes doesn't have good control of it, can diabetes cause little bumps around the vagina and anus? (25 Dec 2002)

37. I suffer from major depression, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and I am obese. I have high before meals blood sugars on a meter, and I am aware that these are not safe readings. With all this information, could you tell me when glucose levels would indicate a need for insulin? Would pills be preferable? (24 Dec 2002)

38. I read a booklet that says persons without diabetes have blood sugars less than 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L] one hour after meals and less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] at two hours. I've been following this guide for two weeks already, and right now I'm quitting on my twice daily injections. Is it right to quit injecting my insulin and try to maintain blood glucose in this range? (24 Dec 2002)

39. Even though my three year old son is showing none of the classic signs of diabetes (except sometimes he is a little more thirsty than others), he has 3+ glucose in his urine, but blood glucose monitoring levels are normal. What else could be the cause of glycosuria in such a young child if not diabetes? Can diabetes be present but not picked up yet? (24 Dec 2002)

40. I am 10 years old. How many carbohydrates can I have each day? I have four big servings and two snacks. (24 Dec 2002)

41. We have seen our family doctor, two neurologists and an ophthalmologist, but nobody seems to be able to answer my questions. (24 Dec 2002)

42. Recently, my 10 year old son went through a few days of high blood sugars and increasing his NovoLog or his NPH would not bring his sugars down. Obviously, stress had something to do with his increased levels. Can stress be a large a factor in increasing blood sugars? Why didn't the increase in insulin counteract the blood sugar levels? (23 Dec 2002)

43. Do you think my daughter has type 1 diabetes? Do you think that insulin injections at this stage could help prevent her from losing all her insulin production? Does introducing insulin at this time actually make her body quit making its own insulin? (23 Dec 2002)

44. My daughter's fasting blood glucose is consistently within range, then one to two hours later, she is high, but she comes down nicely or is even low before lunch. Her lunch postprandial blood glucose is within target, but her pre-dinner reading is consistently high. Is it possible that NovoLog is taking that long to work? Could this indicate a need for more Lantus? (23 Dec 2002)

45. If my son, who has type 1 diabetes, needs to get a smallpox vaccination, I need to convince him to do so. The only way I can do that is with hard statistics. Do you have statistics showing results of administering the smallpox vaccination to people with type 1 diabetes in the early 50s, 60s or 70s? What are the complications? (23 Dec 2002)

46. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 26 weeks, and I've been on diet and insulin since then. My obstetrician has only been concerned with my glucose levels and wanted to induce at 38 weeks, but this morning he called and wants an amniocentesis due to high insulin requirements. Does this indicate a 36 week induction? (23 Dec 2002)

47. Does diabetes (even when the blood sugars are normal) affect the child's behavior and/or moods? (23 Dec 2002)

48. I am a 42 year old with borderline diabetes, and my doctor's only advice is exercise with diet control. However, I have an excessive appetite controlling it is not regularly possible. Is there any mild medication? What about herbal treatment in such a situation? Allopathy? (23 Dec 2002)

49. I am a woman who has had type 1 diabetes for 30 years, and I have probably been dealing with severe depression for at least 10 years, although I am not taking any medication for it. Is there anything that can be done about my absolute lack of libido? (23 Dec 2002)

50. Can a mobile phone harm an insulin pump if it is put in the same bag or pocket, as it says in the papers for my cell phone? (19 Dec 2002)

51. My sister, who has had diabetes for about 15 years, has never really had it under control (under 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] is good for her). She is inconsistent with a time table on taking her insulin shots. Recently, she was admitted to the hospital with an extremely high blood sugar. What are the potential problems of her sugar level having been so high? (19 Dec 2002)

52. Our three year old daughter has type 1 diabetes for about two months, and our eight year old has had high sugars. Am I seeing the beginnings of diabetes in this daughter as well? Should I be concerned enough about this at this time that I should subject her to a glucose tolerance test? (19 Dec 2002)

53. Four months ago, I convinced my two and a half year old son's diabetes team to put him on a Lantus/Humalog regimen with carb counting. When his was on the NPH and Humalog, his blood sugars mostly high, and they still are.They now suggested that I factor in an additional correction doses. I already check him four to five times a day and give him four shots. Isn't this overkill? (19 Dec 2002)

54. My daughter suffers from insulin injections, and many times refuses to take them until her blood sugar gets high. Some doctors in my country an insulin pump which is not found in my country. Please help me, and somebody tell me what to do. I am so sad about my daughter. (19 Dec 2002)

55. I am having a hard time regulating my son's mid morning and lunch blood sugars. If he is blood sugar is in range mid-morning, he runs quite low by lunch. I hate to have him so high, but, on the other hand, I don't want him running so low at lunch. How can he drop so much in such a short time? (19 Dec 2002)

56. My 39 year old brother recently died in his apartment, and since we do not know his doctor, there is no one we can go to for answers. Could you please help my family understand the medical examiner's report since the medical language is so foreign to us? (19 Dec 2002)

57. A child in school where teach usually has high blood sugars at 10:00 am, and I need some information about what she can do to bring it down other than taking more insulin at this time. (16 Dec 2002)

58. I am on the child/parent support group committee, for Diabetes UK, and I am finding it harder and harder to make children, and their parents, aware that we are here for them. There has to be a way that I can find these newly diagnosed children without breaking the data protection. (16 Dec 2002)

59. I still have very large swollen areas on my legs, even though I have had so shots there since age 12. All of my doctors say that nothing can be done about the swollen areas or the fact that I now also have swollen areas on my arms and buttocks. I believe that I am allergic to the human insulin also. What do you suggest? (16 Dec 2002)

60. Can people with diabetes use foot spas? (16 Dec 2002)

61. I have read some of the already posted questions and think that I may have type 2 diabetes, but I'm not sure.I have been told that my blood sugar was 154.3 mg/dl [8.6 mmol/L], but I don't feel that I have had any other symptoms. I have booked up to see my doctor and just would like to have some more information about what this means. (16 Dec 2002)

62. I would like to know if there are any resources for ready-made foods for people with diabetes. I know there are products available, but I was wondering if there was any company that prepared cooked foods such as soups, casseroles, etc. (16 Dec 2002)

63. I have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years, and I have always had what I have been told is good control of my diabetes and that there was no sign of diabetes in my eyes.However, had my eye appointment with a retinal ophthalmologist yesterday who he told me that I have mild non-proliferative retinopathy in my right eye. I just don't understand. (16 Dec 2002)

64. My grandson has had high random blood sugars at home, but we have had trouble getting the doctor to believe us because when the fasting at the hospital they are normal, and his A1c was 6.1%. Is there anything else I should be insisting on? (16 Dec 2002)

65. I have If I don't let the temperature get too high, can I use a paraffin wax bath on my feet at night? My feet are always cold, the skin on the bottoms and big toe is very thick and yellow from tinea infections if not treated, and I'm I'm looking for a way to soften the skin. (16 Dec 2002)

66. My three and a half year old daughter frequently wakes up at night practically incoherent and complaining of pain in her legs, and we saw an endocrinologist at the local children's hospital who said that all the testing looked normal. What if there is something going on, and we are not taking the corrective steps to correct the problem? Is there a diagnosis? (16 Dec 2002)

67. A covering doctor wrote a bunch of untrue statements about my daughter and myself. He said he had talked to us on numerous occasions, and we regarded it as a less conscious act. All of these things are so far from the truth; He never mentioned anything to us. I have spoken to her other doctors about this, and they know that it so far from the truth. Who do you recommend for me to talk to? (13 Dec 2002)

68. I have been following progress of adults having cell transplants, and there have been so good successes. Is there a study going on as to how successful this procedure would be in children? How can I find out more information on this? (13 Dec 2002)

69. My seven year old white son (54 pounds) has had three periods of frequent urination, thirst, and elevated blood sugars which always drop down to normal, but has not been diagnosed with diabetes yet. Any explanation be given for these fluctuations? What tests should be carried out to determine whether he really is in need of insulin? (13 Dec 2002)

70. My father, who lives in India, has swelling and small boils where he is injecting. He has tried switching places but it seems that the reaction is very painful and the swelling is bad. Is this normal? If it is not, I am wondering whether the formulation is causing this? Can I buy the insulin in the USA for him? (13 Dec 2002)

71. I have asked the doctor to prescribe IntraMax for my father. Do the minerals interfere with the drugs (Insulin, Precose and Actos) or do they enhance their activity? (13 Dec 2002)

72. My 15 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes, for about three years, has been complaining of right quadrant pain of stomachaches almost on a daily basis, and they think he has a fatty liver or scarring. How common is a fatty liver is common in people with diabetes? Can it lead to anything serious? What else associated with liver could be caused by type 1 diabetes in a child? (13 Dec 2002)

73. When will Lantus be available in pens? (13 Dec 2002)

74. My doctor is telling me that I should be counting things like cheese as carbs, but I have researched this and found nothing about carbohydrates in cheese. Am I wrong in thinking this? (11 Dec 2002)

75. Just recently, I read that insulin should not be injected in the inner thigh, but, that said, I was told by my endocrinologist to use that site along with the outer and back of the thigh. Is it safe to inject with the short needle syringe in the inner thigh region? If it isn't, why would my endocrinologist recommend it? (11 Dec 2002)

76. A relative, who has newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes was prescribed Isoptin, and I have read that there is a possibility of added fatigue. I am worried because he is a lorry driver, and I would like to know if it may effect his job by not being safe to drive. It is a worry to me. Could you advise the possible effects of long term use of Isoptin? (11 Dec 2002)

77. I have just completed 30 weeks of pregnancy and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I about concerned I am concerned about the harm that already might have been done to my baby. Is it possible I have had diabetes since 20 weeks into my pregnancy? (11 Dec 2002)

78. I have read many stories about toddlers being put on the insulin pump, and I want to put my three year old son on one. However, his current doctor won't do it until he is 10. Do you know what doctors or hospitals do put young children on the insulin pump? (11 Dec 2002)

79. My nine year old daughter, diagnosed six months ago, has joined a basketball team and has asked that I do not tell the coach of her diabetes because she is sure that he will treat her differently after he finds out. I will be present at all of her practices and games to provide her with care if she should go low. Is it always necessary to inform the coach of her condition? (11 Dec 2002)

80. I just recently went to the hospital because I had been having really bad headaches. They took some blood tests and found that my blood sugar was at 1000 and my glucose was at 390 mg/dl [21.7 mmol/L]. They said it was gestational diabetes because I am two months pregnant. Could everything be okay if it was that high? (11 Dec 2002)

81. I have type 2 diabetes, I am currently 18 weeks pregnant, and I have a severe chest cold. My obstetrician told me to take Robitussin sugar-free and Tylenol for discomfort and ride out the cold, but I have been getting two to three hours of sleep per night for the past three days, and I know this can not be healthy for the baby. Is there something else I could do to ease my suffering? (11 Dec 2002)

82. My doctor had me do the C-peptide and antibody tests last week. She says it will take one more week to get the results back. Until then, I'm stuck with poor control no matter how hard I try. I test my blood glucose 10-14 times a day because my numbers are jumping all over the place, and I feel crappy all the time. Is it possible to have two honeymoons? Do you have any ideas? (11 Dec 2002)

83. My six year old son who has had type 1 diabetes for approximately two years, broke his left clavicle a couple of weeks ago, and we are having an extremely hard time getting his glucose numbers within acceptable target ranges even with a sliding scale. I have several questions. (11 Dec 2002)

84. Over the past year, we and she have had many sleepless nights dealing with illnesses, highs and ketones. We're all tired and are looking for some answers. Thank you for anything you can share with us. (11 Dec 2002)

85. Since a colonoscopy for polyp removal three weeks ago, my urine has been mildly foamy. After reviewing my blood and urine results, the doctor I saw ruled out infection or chronic kidney disease due to the diabetes. I have several questions. (11 Dec 2002)

86. A new student in my school tested his blood sugar this morning because he was "not feeling well", and told me his numbers were all very high, but the meter memory showed otherwise. Could there be a problem with the meter memory? I know there is some kind of test to check the accuracy. Could you refresh my memory? (9 Dec 2002)

87. Since going on the pump, I have noticed that I will often be high six to eight hours after eating a relatively high fat, high protein dinner. I will fall low in the immediate post bolus period, then go high in the middle of the night. I know both celiac disease and gastroparesis can do strange things with fat and carb absorption, and I just don't want to panic if it's only a bolusing issue. (9 Dec 2002)

88. We recently went to visit the doctor for a routine check-up and were told that my son has not been getting enough insulin. He hasn't been growing as he should be, and we were told that we should gradually increase his insulin. We've done this, going up 2 units twice daily, but his sugar levels have dropped drastically, and we can't seem to get them back up. (9 Dec 2002)

89. My niece, who has type 1 diabetes is starting college next month and plans to study to be a dietitian. I am searching for any scholarship money that might be available. (9 Dec 2002)

90. My son started experiencing high sugar levels with severe symptoms including hallucinating about a "cat". His sugars are now back in the normal range, but he is still "seeing" the cat. I took him to see a psychotherapist who diagnosed clinical depression but I have not found any information that corresponds hallucinations with depression. Are they? (9 Dec 2002)

91. My 13 year old just got diabetes, and we do have a family history of it, but I was wondering if I could have done something to prevent this or ward it off, for awhile at least? (9 Dec 2002)

92. My six year old son who has had type 1 diabetes for approximately two years, broke his left clavicle a couple of weeks ago, and we are having an extremely hard time getting his glucose numbers within acceptable target ranges even with a sliding scale. I have several questions. (9 Dec 2002)

93. My niece, who is starting college next month, wants an insulin pump, but her mother thinks she will not eat right, and refuses to assist her in obtaining one. Is there any validity to this? Does insurance help with the cost? (9 Dec 2002)

94. If diabetes isn't treated, what problems can occur with the liver or kidneys? (9 Dec 2002)

95. A grandchild has diabetes, and his parents are petrified that I might be a 'carrier' of the flu and could potentially cause his death since I am the main care giver of another grandchild who goes to a preschool. This is preventing me from seeing the grandchild, and I and would like to know if the potential for being a 'carrier' is a serious risk. (7 Dec 2002)

96. Do a lot of young children have behavioral problems that go along with diabetes? (7 Dec 2002)

97. My seven year old daughter, who has an insulin pump, has just informed me that she has been invited to a sleep over by a friend who does not have diabetes. How do I approach and educate the parents without scaring them to "not invite" her because of her disease? (7 Dec 2002)

98. At our last visit the new care giver was suspicious that my daughter may not have diabetes, ordered antibody tests, and the "main two" were negative. We were told to stop her insulin and that she may not have diabetes. For the last four days her blood sugars have been within normal limits without insulin so obviously we are concerned. (7 Dec 2002)

99. My mom was just diagnosed with probable complications and was taking Captopril for high blood pressure which I read is good for her kidneys. However, the Captopril caused her to always cough, so the doctor prescribed a different medication. Which other medications, besides Captopril, would help my mom? (7 Dec 2002)

100. Do children with type 1 diabetes have a higher percentage entering the health field? As a grandfather I'm hoping we can pass on encouraging news to the devoted parents to look forward to. (7 Dec 2002)

101. Is it common for doctors to see diabetes patients only once a year? Of course, I'd like to spend less time at the doctor's, but should I be comfortable with this new recommendation? Is it common for doctors to see diabetes patients only once a year? (7 Dec 2002)

102. Since diagnosis, my grandson is much better, but I noticed he is not quite the same. He has trouble remembering work at school and chores at home, and I don't think it is willful. Am I wrong in thinking that this could be from his diabetes? (6 Dec 2002)

103. When my son was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, my pastor told me that he would be cured but not until he was in his late teens. He is now 13, and I am praying that God not wait until his later teens. I believe my son will be healed but want to know if there actually have been any cases of spontaneous healing. (6 Dec 2002)

104. I have checked my daughter's blood glucose levels are always high at lunch. I know that if I gave her more of Humalog in the evening it would kill her, so it terrifies me to send her to school every morning with more, but, if anything, she does seem to need it. Why does it take far more Humalog in the morning than at night, for the same amount of carb consumption? (6 Dec 2002)

105. If we aren't watching her, my 81 year old mother eats everything in sight, and recently her blood sugar started spiking to the high 100s mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] and sometimes above. Do you have any suggestions as to what we can do? (6 Dec 2002)

106. What is the best over-the-counter cold medication for a toddler with type 1 diabetes? (6 Dec 2002)

107. I think my nine year old daughter started a menstrual period the other day but does not show any other signs of puberty other than moodiness. Since most of the women in my family started their periods much later, I am concerned with such an early start. Can having type 1 diabetes cause puberty to happen sooner? (5 Dec 2002)

108. How do I tell an eight to ten year old about diabetes? (5 Dec 2002)

109. I am 31 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and six times in my life, right after injecting my Humulin, I have had a severe reaction. According to the insulin pamphlet, it sounds like an allergic reaction, but my doctor doesn't think human insulin causes allergic reactions. Have you heard of this happening to other people? (5 Dec 2002)

110. My eight year old daughter was diagnosed about eight months ago, and I do not feel that carb counting (which is what we have been doing) is good enough. I don't think she is getting a "balanced diet" so I will look into this again. I also heard about some new rating called the "glycemic index" that tells you the effect that food will have on your blood sugar. Have you ever heard of this? (5 Dec 2002)

111. My son was treated for pinworms four days ago, and now he is exhibiting excessive thirst. In one of your answers, you mentioned that there is research on the protective role of intestinal thread worms regarding diabetes. Could you elaborate? Is this a correlation with what you mentioned? (5 Dec 2002)

112. This morning I had a hypo attack with no prior warning and for which there seems to be no reason. I have never had an attack of this nature before, and, when my blood sugar is low, I always get plenty of warning. So, you can imagine that to pass out in this manner is extremely worrying. Is it possible that I injected my insulin directly into a vein? (5 Dec 2002)

113. My doctor does not believe I need an insulin sensitizer considering the A1c value. If the A1c is less than 6%, but glucose levels are relatively high, is the risk of complications still low? Should I pay more attention to the daily glucose levels? (5 Dec 2002)

114. I am concerned because my two year old daughter has had blood sugar abnormalities for approximately a month. Any idea as to what is causing these abnormalities? (5 Dec 2002)

115. I've asked my doctor as well as the diabetes educator if they know of or had heard about any patients taking Accutane developing diabetes, and of course they said no, but I was wondering if you have heard or know of any persons developing diabetes during Accutane treatment. Where can I find additional information/findings on this problem? (5 Dec 2002)

116. I have type 2 diabetes, and, for the past six months, my pinky finger and part of my ring finger on both hands have been numb. I was told it could be carpal tunnel syndrome. What is the cause of numbness in my hands? Is it related to my diabetes or something else? (5 Dec 2002)

117. I have PCOS, and my gynecologist put me on metformin to help me get pregnant and lose weight. Right now, he has me taking it only twice a day, but he only way I can keep losing weight on twice a day is if I eat a 1200 calorie diet. Success stories I have read say to take it three times daily. Should I be taking it more? (5 Dec 2002)

118. My son had an unexplained episode which seems to have been caused by low blood sugar. I have been testing his blood sugar levels on my own, at bedtime and upon waking, and I am keeping a diary of them. Have you heard of this? Should I be checking his sugar certain times of day? Do you feel I should make an appointment with a pediatric endocrinologist? (3 Dec 2002)

119. Is it safe to take the newly released Xenadrine RFA (ephedrine free) if you have type 2 diabetes and are taking Glucophage? (3 Dec 2002)

120. I am taking metformin, and I am having trouble losing weight. Even though I am taking metformin, should I still be on a low-carb diet? (3 Dec 2002)

121. After being on the prednisone for a little over a month, my regular doctor had me ease it off the due to extremely high blood sugars, he said that I now have diabetes, and I have been using insulin ever since to control my blood sugars. Do you think the ENT doctor should have told me about the possibility of developing diabetes from taking prednisone? (3 Dec 2002)

122. A 13 year old student has had type 1 type 1 diabetes for five months. On many occasions, she has had blood sugars that drop to the 40s mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] even with no insulin during the previous 12-24 hours, and her diabetes team that she is experiencing the "honeymoon" period. What else could this student have? The mom is worried about an insulinoma. (3 Dec 2002)

123. I have had two morning episodes of blacking out, headache, and weakness. Should I go to the doctor and get my blood sugar checked? What sorts of foods and how often should I eat them to avoid this from happening again? (3 Dec 2002)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts