Question:

From Abilene, Texas, USA:

I am a 25 year old female college student who does not have diabetes, but I have hypothyroidism. Both mornings last weekend when I got out of bed, my eyes closed, and I blacked out. Then I regained consciousness and had a headache. I did not think much of this, but, on Monday morning when I woke up and tried to get out of bed, I kept falling back like I was to weak to get out of bed. I made myself try to go to the refrigerator to get some juice, but I was to weak to do that either So I forced myself to get up and went to the University's clinic and saw the nurse because, since I did not have an appointment, I could not see the doctor.

The nurse said I was having an hypoglycemia episode and told me to keep some orange juice by my bed so I could have something the second I get up, and to have an snack of something with protein and carbohydrates in it before bed. I did what she said last night and this morning, and I did not have an episode this morning, but my stomach was grumbling at 1:30 am which I think is odd, and I am still so weak. Should I go to the doctor and get my blood sugar checked? What sorts of foods and how often should I eat them to avoid this from happening again?

Answer:

I would suggest that you be evaluated by a physician.